The Holy Rosary is an enormous source of grace and spiritual protection and is one of the most powerful prayers of the Catholic Church. Sister Lucia dos Santos, one of the children to whom our Lady appeared at Fatima, once said,
“There is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families … that cannot be solved by the rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.”
After the holy sacrifice of the mass, the holy rosary is the prayer most pleasing to our Lady.
The origin of the rosary itself, according to pious tradition, dates back to the early 13th century, during which time it is said that Mary appeared to St. Dominic and instructed him to pray the rosary in order to strengthen personal holiness and combat sin and heresies that were prevalent at that time. The rosary thus became an important component of the Dominican order and many Dominicans through the years have been very diligent both in praying the rosary themselves and in spreading the rosary to the Catholic Church as a fundamental part of our belief. Although some doubt the veracity of Mary’s 13th-century apparition to St. Dominic, it is undoubtedly true that the practice of praying either 50 or 150 Ave Marias had grown throughout the 12th and 13th centuries, and it is also certain that the Dominican Order was instrumental in developing this devotion.
In the thirteenth century, Saint Dominic and Blessed Alan received the following promises from our Lady for all those who faithfully pray the rosary:
- Whosoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the rosary shall receive signal graces.
A signal grace is not a sign as such, and need not have anything to do with answered prayer or a specific request.
A lot of times, God grants signal graces when He desires not just the conversion of a soul, but a conversion that will take the soul to a whole different level of faithfulness, preparing them for the person’s new phase in life. The best examples of these are in “conversions” that are very noticeable and abruptly life-changing. The conversions of saints like St. Augustine of Hippo and St. Mary Magdalene are great examples of persons who have received signal graces. They received extraordinary graces that changed their hearts and minds to such a degree that they changed their lives entirely to live only for Jesus Christ.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the rosary.
- The rosary shall be a powerful armour against hell; it will destroy vice, decrease sin and defeat heresies.
- It will cause good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means!
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the rosary shall not perish.
[In other words, anyone who faithfully prays the rosary and asks for Mary’s intercession will be saved from hell.]
- Whosoever shall recite the rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he is just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
[An unprovided death means dying while not in a state of grace (that is, in dying with unconfessed mortal sin in the soul). The Blessed Mother promises that anyone who regularly prays the rosary, and earnestly tries to live according to God’s will, will be spiritually prepared when their time of death comes.]
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
[Our Lady ensures that the soul will receive sanctifying grace through the sacraments prior to its departure from the body.]
- Those who are faithful to recite the rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the rosary.
- The faithful children of the rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the rosary.
- All those who propagate the holy rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my divine son that all the advocates of the rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion to my rosary is a great sign of predestination.
[By this the Blessed Mother means that a devotion to the rosary is a good indication that the devotee is on the path to heaven.]
It is amazing to realize how much grace and heavenly help we can receive by an act as simple as praying the rosary regularly. It only takes 15 minutes to pray! Set aside time alone, with your family, or with some friends to start the habit of reciting a daily rosary. If you don’t think you have time, try praying on the way to work in the morning. You will surely notice the grace it brings to your life, as promised by our Lady!
During my younger days, the rosary did not mean anything to me other than a prayer which I prayed in the evening with my family. My thoughts used to wander and it was just a ritual for me.
But after joining CFCI, the rosary became an important part of my life. I started praying the rosary while driving mainly to avoid bad thoughts clouding my mind because I used to grumble a lot about my mother in law. As I prayed the rosary, I noticed that I was able to overcome sin through my thoughts.
I have been able to dedicate my rosaries for people who are in need of prayer; for healing, peace, jobs, marriage, conception and Mama Mary has always been able to fulfil these petitions. It may have taken days, weeks and in some cases, years of praying but my prayers have always been answered.
I would also like to share healing which took place in 2015. One of my acquaintances had left the Catholic faith and converted to Hinduism. Shortly after, her son had a kidney transplant and developed complications, I met them during our visit to the hospital and the doctor in charge was very upset that they would have to remove the transplanted kidney and put him on dialysis. I do not know where I got the courage to speak to the doctor and tell him that he would witness a miracle. I boldly claimed that my husband and I would pray and the surgery would not be needed (This was the time my husband was on the wheelchair with his leg amputated).
I went up to this family and told the lady and her daughter: Pray the rosary and you will witness a miracle. The lady turned around and told me that there was no use in praying and said to me, “Look at the problems you are facing in life despite your prayers”. I told her whatever problems that have come our way, we have been able to face with grace knowing that our Lord and our Mother Mary have been holding us in their loving arms.
3 days later, we were informed that the healing took place and his body accepted the new kidney and he was doing fine. I was elated that even though she did not believe, Mama Mary stood by us and healed the boy. The boy’s mother was convicted and testified shortly after at a program organized by the hospital.